Unit 7 Quiz--Isotopes

Multiple Choice (Choose the best answer.)

  1. Isotopes of the same element must have the same number of

    neutrons

    protons

    electrons

    both A and B

    both A and C


  2. Isotopes of the same element must have different numbers of

    neutrons

    protons

    electrons

    both A and B

    both A and C


  3. A neutral atom of 37Cl has

    37 protons, 37 neutrons, and 37 electrons

    17 protons, 37 neutrons, and 17 electrons

    17 protons, 20 neutrons, and 37 electrons

    17 protons, 20 neutrons, and 17 protons

    None of these are correct.


  4. Which isotope of boron ( 10B+ or 11B+ ) would travel furthest in a mass spectrometer?

    10B+

    11B+

    They would travel the same distance.

    It is impossible to predict which one would travel farther.


  5. A new element, Tyserium (Ty), has recently been discovered and consists of two isotopes. One isotope has a mass of 331 g/mol and is 35.0 % abundant. The other isotope is 337 g/mole and is 65.0 % abundant. What is the mass of Ty as it appears on the periodic table?

    332 g/mol

    333 g/mol

    334 g/mol

    335 g/mol

    336 g/mol


  6. Copper has two isotopes, 63Cu and 65Cu. If the atomic mass of copper is 63.5 g/mol, what is the % of each isotope?

    25.0 % 63Cu and 75.0 % 65Cu

    33.0 % 63Cu and 66.0 % 65Cu

    50.0 % 63Cu and 50.0 % 65Cu

    66.0 % 63Cu and 33.0 % 65Cu

    75.0 % 63Cu and 25.0 % 65Cu



Back to Unit 7 Main Page

Back to Chemweb Main Page